The Waterfront Refinement Plan was adopted by the City of Hood River following a legislative process between the City and Port. The WRP addresses zoning and design standards on undeveloped areas on the waterfront. It also allows permanent public easement to waterfront trails and recreation access points to protect community resources.
After a joint public meeting in September, the process included five meetings with an advisory committee last fall, where concepts were developed into an overlay zoning district that defines implementation options within the Waterfront Refinement Plan area. A public process with input on the draft plan and code amendments concluded through the legislative process, with the City of Hood River adopting the revised zone overlay on December 22. Comprehensive plan and code amendments will occur in early 2015. Full details on the process and a copy of the final adopted WRP are located on the City’s website.
The Waterfront Refinement Plan key revisions:
- a permanent public easement to preserve public access to the existing waterfront trail
(portions of which were not previously protected for permanent public use)
- very limited amount of commercial development on Lot 1a and Expo II
- design standards for new commercial and industrial uses
- design standards and public access requirements for the Waterfront Trail
- rezoning Expo II site from General Commercial to Light Industrial
- removing 1998 condition limiting uses on Lot 3 to Expo Center, Visitors Center, and similar uses
|Final Hood River Waterfront Refinement Plan Area
Joint Public Meeting, September 30, 2014
co-hosted by the City of Hood River
and the Port of Hood River
A joint public meeting on September 30 covered an update on recent waterfront development activities and previewed the Waterfront Refinement Plan process including possible changes to zoning, design standards and trail requirements. The scope of work, plan area and schedule was covered, with time for public input.
Information is continually being prepared about the Hood River Waterfront. The list of links below represents relevant information.