Port of Hood River Statement of Policy Regarding Tobacco/Smoke Free Facilities and Grounds
Approved by the Board of Commissioners August 4, 2015
The Port of Hood River seeks to ensure a tobacco-free environment on all Port properties through positive and educational messaging that promotes the long-term health and safety of the Port of Hood River employees and the public. This policy prohibits the use, distribution, sale, or advertising of tobacco or other inhalant products on property owned or controlled by the Port of Hood River.
This policy applies to all Port of Hood River employees, volunteers, interns, clients, visitors, and vendors on property owned or occupied by the Port of Hood River.
For the purpose of this policy the following definitions shall apply:Tobacco: Includes but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, hookah, dip, chew, snuff, snus, and any other smokeless tobacco products as well as nicotine/inhalant delivery devices such as electronic cigarettes or vaporizers (except for FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy products for the purpose of tobacco cessation).
- Policy:The use of all tobacco products and smoking tobacco or any other substances is not permitted at any time within any interior space of facilities owned or occupied by the Port of Hood River; in vehicles owned by the Port of Hood River; and is strongly discouraged on outdoor property or grounds, parks, and natural areas owned or occupied by the Port of Hood River, including outdoor parking areas.
- Communication of Policy:
- Signs: Signs will be used to designate a Port of Hood River owned or occupied facility as a Tobacco/Smoke Free Property. Signs bearing this message will be clearly posted at the perimeter of Port properties, at vehicular and pedestrian entrances, and at other prominent locations designated by the Port Executive Director.
- Decals: Buildings designated by the Port Executive Director that are owned or occupied by the Port will display a decal that states Tobacco/Smoke Free Property at an entrance or exit.
- Website: The Port of Hood River website (portofhoodriver.com) will include a downloadable policy document as well as graphics communicating the policy.
Additional language on the signs may be used to promote the success of the policy and educate the public.
The Tobacco/Smoke Free policy applies at all facilities and grounds owned or occupied by the Port of Hood River whether or not signs are posted.
- Tobacco Cessation Support:
The Port of Hood River is committed to providing tobacco cessation support to all Port of Hood River employees who wish to stop using tobacco products. Cessation resource information will be provided to any employee who expresses an interest in seeking help to stop using tobacco products. Port of Hood River volunteers, contractors, clients, and visitors may be referred to the Oregon Tobacco Quit Line (1.800.QUIT.NOW [English] or 1.877.2NO.FUME [Spanish]), which is a free tobacco cessation resource.
Approved by the Port of Hood River Board of Commissioners on August 4, 2015